Monday, July 19, 2010

Most people

Okay, so there are the people like those chronicled in my last post, but most people really are lovely.

Like the physical therapist we ran into a few days ago, who was so interested in my boy's Permobil Koala powerchair. My defenses were up, but it turned out her interest was for the children who are clients of hers and could use a chair as cool, kid-friendly, and powerful as my boy's "red racer." She was just lovely.

Like the balloon man who made both my kids great balloon animals and asked for nothing. He didn't treat my boy as a poor kid who needed a lift, rather the vibe I got was that he just thought both my kids were cute and could use a balloon. Just lovely.

Like the airport baggage handler who so appreciated the laminated direction-sheet I had hung on my boy's Koala in a purely self-serving attempt to prevent damage. He said he wished everyone did that and stuck around to meet my boy. Just lovely.

Like the train conductor who made sure my boy and his Koala got good seats on an old historic (1920's) tourist train, and checked in to make sure we didn't miss a thing. Just lovely.

Like the young couple traveling cross-country who offered to take a picture of the entire family, and even help us traverse some challenging terrain. Just lovely.

Like all the people we encounter everyday who simply greet my boy just like any other kid...or look right past us as they would any other family traveling down the same sidewalk.

And, like all you wonderful readers who have sent me such lovely, thoughtful (and thought-provoking) comments about my last post.

No comments:

Post a Comment